Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Today

I woke up with a heavy heart. Today is the last day that our home will be whole for several long months. Mountain Man answered THE CALL of our nation over 14 years ago, and now here we are, hearts swelling with pride yet breaking in two. We've been spoiled. He's never had to be gone for more than a week, and our family stands here staring at 7 months with out him.

Fuzz and Curly Top are dealing with it in a way I expected, then again, I never saw it coming. I expected them to be sad tomorrow, but I never thought it would hit them so hard today. We weren't prepared for it...Not one bit. They've been assured and reassured, we've held them, loved on them, played with them, and talked with them all day, and they understand that Daddy has to go away for work. But they also understand that Daddy will be gone for "too long" Curly Top wants to know if Daddy will have a bed, she is always concerned about where he will sleep.
Fuzz, the deep thinker that she is, wants to know how long he is going to be gone, I tell her "for a little while" and she says, "that's too long" How do I explain it to a 4 year old, when I happen to agree? At the same time, I am so excited for him. This is the reason why he does what he does! It's why they all do it! A little boy's dreams fulfilled!

So we stand here on the edge of uncharted territory for all of us. We'll all go through the emotions, the ups, the downs, and the middle ground. We'll miss one another terribly, but we will get through it one day at at time...and then one day, we'll be standing at that same spot and instead of counting the steps that he takes as he walks away, we'll be welcoming him home with open arms. One day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time, always keeping the end in sight.
God Bless you, keep you and grant you a speedy return, Mountain Man!!! WE LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mamaw Duncan and I have been talking about you and The Giggle Girls all day, wondering how you were surviving the first day of Terry's adventure and knowing that T.R. felt the same sadness. Your words make me sadder than I thought and reflect the sadness I've seen in Mom's face today as she spoke of all of you especially memories of T.R. as a little boy with his Papaw. As we ate dinner tonight she told me that Papaw once said to T.R. "why those college graduates don't have anymore sense than to eat soup with a fork" and how T.R. just fell over laughing as he usually did at anything his Papaw said. Know you are loved VERY MUCH, on our minds and in our hearts. We too miss T.R. even more with the additional distance and pray each of you have safety and find peace and comfort while you are separated only by distance for this time. I've spent time tonight connecting to SightSpeed and setting up webcam - sooooo I'm anxious to have Mamaw Duncan visit with you and The Giggle Girls as soon as you have time . . . Much LOVE ALWAYS and to Mountain Man!...